Anyone that has ever been involved with any type of community production can attest that there is something very inspiring that happens when a group of talented individuals get together in a common cause. Motivated not by a cash reward, but truly invested in the art of it. This is what The Community Film Project is trying to accomplish. If interested, fill out this quick application by clicking here.
IN A NUTSHELL: “The 10 things WE ARE”
1. WE ARE seeking to create a template for communities like ours to create their own Community Films. To our knowledge we haven’t seen this done before and are looking to construct the simplest way to accomplish it. A film can be as complicated or simple as you make it and we are trying to find the right shoe to fit around what a community can produce without sacrificing quality.
2. WE ARE creating a schedule for production schedule that will allow people to participate in their free time. Drawing inspiration from community theatre, we plan to come together for production activities once or twice a week. Script permitting, we may need one or two weeks of heavy production (“hell week”) to complete principal photography. Post-production will be happening simultaneous to production in order to complete the project in a timely manner.
3. WE ARE all volunteers. All money raised is for the film project alone and for future projects. We are working professionals who have full-time jobs, but we do this because we are passionate art of filmmaking. Anyone who volunteers as cast or crew will be motivated by that same reason. Money is being raised for production needs and operating costs such as: venues, locations, costumes, make-up, materials, media management, security, rentals, publicity, and craft services.
4. WE ARE auditioning Davis County talent in both Cast and Crew Positions starting with Writers. There are talented people all around us. There are many people who work professionally with video, film, photography, music, art, sound, acting, etc. right in our own backyard. We are going to be auditioning every filmmaking position and will have understudies for crew based on our production schedule. The cast will be required to be available as much as the schedule and script demands. We need to build a huge database of talent so when the audition times come we can reach out to you and invite you to participate. If interested, fill out this quick application by clicking here.
5. WE ARE holding community workshops beginning in June to educate those who’d like to learn more, sharpen their skills, or just talk film. Not unlike the community classes where you’d go to learn about photography or how to cook, we are offering workshops that not only teach about filmmaking, but are also rooted in the development and completion of the actual film project. There will be a small charge (TBD) for the eight week workshop, but again all monies received will go to the final film project.
6. WE ARE asking for any support or connections anyone has to venues, locations, government officials, etc. Since this process hasn’t been officially tested in our community we have had little interest from any government officials in this area. The higher the demand, the more we can demonstrate to officials and arts councils the importance of this project in our community. Also, we need to get connected to those who run venues, and possible filming locations. Please reach out to us if you have any connections to anyone who could help out in these areas.
7. WE ARE creating a YouTube Channel and a Blog showcasing our behind the scenes progress along the way. We hope that our community film project will become a template for other communities. As such, we are documenting the process and the steps we are taking in order to get feedback and help others learn from our mistakes. You can subscribe and follow us here.
8. WE ARE going to shoot the film exclusively in Davis County. There is beauty here in our own backyard and we want to showcase it. This adds to the community film aspect of the project. If you live in a cool area or know of some great cinematic places in our county, email us and send us pictures and any info you may have including who owns the property email@example.com.
9. WE ARE producing a community friendly film. Think of a live action, low-budget Pixar movie.
10. We are accepting reward based donations, pre-selling tickets to the premiere, and offering sponsorship opportunities. Get cool stuff for donating to The Community Film Project. Click here to get a list of the rewards.
At its most basic level this project is designed to promote community pride and unity while giving filmmakers a chance to learn and grow as artists. If interested fill out this quick application by clicking here.